A large number of golfers want to know the average distance of the seven iron because 7 iron is one of the most used golf clubs. After observing hundreds of golfers from beginners to professionals, the average distance noticed for the 7 iron is around 120 yards (men) and 8 years (women). These are just average distances.
What is a 7 iron?
A 7iron is a golf club classified as a mid-iron and ranges between 29 to 33 degrees of loft. As it is towards the middle of the golf bag, it can be used to hit a variety of golf shots.
- Golfing over trees
- Going under trees
- Reaching longer par 3’s
The versatility of 7 irons bring into question what should be the purpose of the club? and the answer to all those who ask this question is – to use it for whatever works the best. For example, if you are confident enough to use the seven iron to hit under trees, you can keep using it.
For new golfers, the 7 iron becomes their best friend. It is a comfortable club to learn to hit and offer both trajectory and distance when struck appropriately. Mostly the beginners hit a full 7 iron 60 yards( women) and 100 yards (men).
If the Golf ball is not traveling this far with the 7 iron, some few tips can be used to get better contact :
- Play the ball in the middle of the feet.
- Press hands over the golf ball and applies more weight on your front hip.
- Rotate your hips during the swing and hit down at the ground, not the ball.
- Transfer your weight all the way on your front leg and point your body at the target.
Intermediate golfers are any golfer that shoots” bogey “golf or a score of 95 for 18 holes. When intermediate golfers hit a 7 iron, the ball travels 135 yards for men and 75 yards for women.
When you compare, intermediate golfers have pastor clubhead speed than the beginners which gives them more distance. The issue with these golfers is inconsistency. Sometimes they hit their 7 iron 150 yards and the next they hit it at 120 yards.
To be more consistent with the 7 iron, use the tips given below:
- You should slow down the backswing by half of what you swing currently.
- keep your weight more on the front leg when setting up to the ball.
- You should feel like the arms are dropping down at the ball.
- Hold your finish for 3 seconds and look down your target line.
These tips help intermediate golfers find a rhythm in their golfing swing, which adds repetitive swing motions that help with distance consistency.
Advanced golfers are players who can shoot at an 18 hole score of 82 or better. They usually have superb distance control and hit the ball a lot further combining sweet spot and clubhead speed contact.
They can hit the 7 iron 165 yards (men) or 140 yards (women). It takes a lot of time and patience to get to this level hitting balls at the driving range, taking lessons, or playing a lot of golf, but you get there.
PGA Tour Golfers
On TV the golfers are the best in the world. For men, they hit their 7 iron 185 yards. For women, they hit their 7 iron 160 yards. Most pros spend their entire life swinging golf clubs, due to which they can hit the ball at such far distances.
They have amazing flexibility to rotate around the Golf ball at high rates while staying in the Golf posture.
Bounce: 7 Iron Chipping
It can be beneficial sometimes to chip with the 7 iron.
To effectively chip with the 7 iron :
- Grab the 7 iron and set up to the shot.
- Narrow your golf stance and apply more weight on your front hip.
- Take two small steps towards the ball, raising the 7 iron more up on its toe. This stance feels similar to putting a stroke.
- Make a controlled swing using the shoulders at the ball, making sure the weight does not waiver from where you started.
- The ball will be low to the ground and have a lot of rolls, helping to get the ball onto the green and avoid any chunked or top golf shots.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Maximum Distance A Beginner Should Hit A 7 Iron?
The median driving range is 219.55 yards at its center. Other notable club distances include the median 3-wood, which travels 186.89 yards, the 7-iron, which travels 133.48 yards, and the pitching wedge, which travels 73.97 yards.
Is It Possible To Hit A 7 Iron 150 Yards?
When you can strikes a seven iron 150 yards, you have enough distance to move from a mid to a lower handicap. Although there is much more to being a great golfer than your score, having enough distance is essential.
Do You Have The Ability To Hit A 7 Iron 200 Yards?
A golfer would require a clubhead speed of roughly 95 to 100 miles per hour to hit a 7 iron 200 yards. The average speed for a 7 iron on the PGA Tour is 90 miles per hour. To achieve this level, the golfer could start a rigorous speed training program.
Tiger Woods Can Hit A 7 Iron A Long Way, But How Far Can He Hit It?
Tiger drives his driver an average of 285 yards with carrying. His long irons (two to four iron) cover a distance of 250 to 200 yards. The distance of his middle irons (5, 6, 7) is 208 to 172 yards. His 8-iron travels 158 yards, while his 9-iron travels 142 yards.
How Far Should A 7 Iron Be Hit?
The 7 iron is one of the most commonly used golf clubs in your bag, many golfers demand to understand what its typical range is. After observing hundreds of golfers ranging from novices to pros, the average range traveled by the 7 iron is roughly 120 yards for males and 80 yards for women (women).
So how far can you hit your 7 iron? The answer is different for everyone, but this post will give you an idea of what skill level you currently are and some tips to help you improve.
- Beginners – 60 yards (women) or 7 yards (men).
- Intermediate golfers- 75 yards (women) and 135 yards (men)
- Advanced golfers-140 yards (women) and 165 yards (men)
- PGA tour players-160 yards (women) and 185 yards (men)